Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My travel insurance won't let me claim for stolen cases from car as there was no visible damage from break-in

On a recent trip home from Oz our hire car was boken into and two suitcases stolen from the boot. The car was definitely locked but there was no sign of damage. I reported it to the Police and am still waiting for the crime report.(Our flight back was on the same day) We're back in Oz now and the travel insurance company have emailed to say that I can't claim as there was no damage to the vehicle. This clause is not on my insurance documentation. The cases were locked in the boot and were not visible, they were not left there overnight either. I'm confident that the items stolen were of little value to the theives; one had some expensive ski gear , the other my 9yr old daughters clothes and toys, however we would like to claim for the replacement of these items. Any ideas?I

My travel insurance won't let me claim for stolen cases from car as there was no visible damage from break-in
That is ridiculous on the face of it. A professional won't leave any damage opening your car or your trunk. I run a towing company and also offer lock out service, which is damage free. I wouldn't be in business long if I were to damage a vehicle to open it. Tell them you paid for insurance just to cover the possibility of things being stolen, things were stolen, and you expect to be compensated, despite the fact that the person doing the stealing was competent enough to not do damage to the vehicle.





Looks like they are making rules as they go to avoid paying out.
Reply:You could probably claim it on your homeowner policy. Check w/ your agent to make sure.



car audio

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive