Wednesday, October 21, 2009

What website(s) can I find this kind of snow-weather clothing on?

I'm going to Wisconsin for a 1 week program in Feb. at Teton Science School (I’m going cross-country skiing)


Based on an e-mail I got (I'm simplifying it), I need to get the following (tops %26amp; bottoms for all layers):





**BASE LAYER: Long underwear. This is usually some kind of polyester or polyester-Lycra blend with a fancy proprietary name (REI=MTS, Patagonia=Capilene, etc.)





**INSULATION LAYER: It can be one or more layers of fleece, wool sweater, down or other jacket, etc. Doesn’t need to be windproof/waterproof.





**OUTER LAYER: Rain jackets/pants and/or ski bibs/ jackets/pants work as long as they are windproof %26amp; reasonably waterproof. Breathable, waterproof fabrics like Gore-Tex, Elements, etc., are suggested.





**OTHER: A good hat (insulated) that covers your ears preferably with some kind of a windblock liner; waterproof mittens (warmer than gloves); snow boots (insulated); %26amp; socks that are wool or wool/polypropylene blend.

What website(s) can I find this kind of snow-weather clothing on?
http://www.peterglenn.com/ is having an awesome mid-season sale. ;) They have stuff for most every size from tons and tons of different companies. I'd suggest Spyder or Columbia for a ski jacket, and marker for ski pants ( I LOVE my marker ski pants!).





BUT, before buying anything, be sure to try it on at a store and see if it fits properly. You say small, but your small may be a medium in one company and a child's extra large in another, so be sure to test everything first, before buying something too big or too small - always a good thing to do when you are looking to buy anything online. :)





Remember, you always want clothing that can be easily removed and stored, in case it gets really warm wearing all those layers. So dont go for the pull overs, IMO. Go for stuff that is easily zipped on and off and NO suspender like pants - those are a hassle if you have to use the facilities!





For your insulation layer, you can probably just wear stuff you have in your closet: zip up sweatshirt, sweatpants.





For the base layer, you can wear spandex or something similar, so that it keeps your body warmth insulated. Hot Chilly's makes really really good long underwear that doubles up as clothing for going to the gym. http://www.hotchillys.com/


A hot chilly's lady's small is equal to a size 4 or 6. I wear the size small pants and I wear a size 6 jean, but I buy mine small, since I wear my jeans baggy. :)





For the "other" layer, you can just use any hat that throughly covers your head and keeps it warm - even a hat that grandma knitted you works fine! Waterproof gloves are MUST, however. Mittens are going out of style this season, so they may be harder to find. :)
Reply:www.rei.com


www.backcountry.com



maintenance repairs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive